What is the Parents’ Campaign of the Wake Forest fund?
The Parents’ Campaign of The Wake Forest Fund is an annual campaign to raise money for the University’s current operating budget. When parents and families make gifts to The Wake Forest Fund, the money is used this fiscal year for the University’s most pressing priorities – from recruiting top faculty, to providing leading edge technology in the classrooms and library, to innovative academic programs like the Summer Management Program, to our expanded and outstanding career development program. Parent gifts make an immediate impact on Wake Forest students!
Why does Wake Forest need a Parents’ Campaign?
Most private schools have three main sources of funding: tuition, income from the endowment, and annual gifts.
- Tuition simply does not cover the cost of running a private university. Without the generous support of current and past parents – along with alumni and friends – tuition would have to be higher than it currently is to maintain the Wake Forest experience.
- When a parent makes an endowment gift, the principal is not spent; it is invested. The resulting earnings from those investments help the institution grow.
- Annual gifts to The Wake Forest Fund are not invested – they are used right now to sustain current year operations and activities. Annual gifts are the lifeblood of the institution.
As foundations and corporations consider grant applications, they frequently ask about the percentage of participation in giving from Wake Forest alumni, parents, and friends. It strengthens our case when those closest to the University support us.
How much are parents and families asked to give?
The decision as to the size of your gift is a personal one – the important part is that parents participate in the Parents’ Campaign, no matter the amount. Parents give from $10 to $100,000, and participation at every level is needed and appreciated! When you make a gift to the Parents’ Campaign, it will be joined with the gifts of other parents, and those gifts add up to a remarkable total! In 2012-13, current and past Wake Forest parents donated $2.2 million to the Parents’ Campaign of The Wake Forest Fund. This is a significant endorsement that Wake Forest parents believe in the mission and direction of the University and support it with their own giving above tuition.
Parents who wish to give at the leadership level become annual members of one of our Giving Societies. Donors automatically become members with any gift to The Wake Forest Fund of $1,000+ annually. In appreciation of this involvement and support, members are invited to special donor-recognition events on and off campus. The Giving Society levels are:
- Society of 1834: $25,000+ annually
- Founders’ Circle: $10,000 - $24,999 annually
- Pro Humanitate Society: $5,000 - $9,999 annually
- Silver Society: $2,500 - $4,999 annually
- President’s Club: $1,000 - $2,499 annually
How can I make a gift?
You may make a gift by cash, check, credit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express) or appreciated securities. If you work for a matching gift company, you may be able to double or even triple the value of your gift. Forms are available through your company’s human resources department. All gifts to the Parents’ Campaign are tax-deductible.
For more information about supporting the Parents’ Campaign, please contact Betsy Chapman, Director of Parent Programs, at email@example.com or 336.758.4845.